We are traveling to a very safe area in Kenya – we have never felt uneasy or unsafe while there. That being said, things can happen anywhere but Love Abides is taking every precaution to ensure your safety:
- Coronavirus concerns: Since March, 2020, we have been monitoring the Covid-19 cases in Kenya by keeping in contact with our friends there and by visiting the Kenyan Ministry of Health website at: https://www.health.go.ke/home/. We will NOT go on this trip if the virus isn’t under control. However, each member of the mission team has to make the best decision for themselves based on their own comfort level with regards to travel.
- We have obtained a group international medical insurance policy which protects against any medical situations while in Kenya or emergency evacuation in the unlikely event that it’s necessary.
- Food safety: Some of our trip fee goes toward hiring a Kenyan chef experienced in cooking food in a safe way for our American tummies. Any restaurants we eat at will also have safe cooking methods.
- We will always have clean, safe, bottled water available to drink…that is also part of our trip fee.
- Certain vaccines are recommended (see CDC website: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/kenya?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-single-001) as well as malaria medication. Mosquitoes will be present in May. In addition, a Coronavirus vaccine may be required if available at the time of our trip. We will most likely need proof of a recent negative Covid19 test.
- Mosquito netting will be provided over your bed. Insect repellant is recommended during the day.
- We will be very near the equator and the sun is hot! Wear a hat and sunscreen.
- Another part of our fee goes to hire a night time watchman while we are at our host’s home. He walks the grounds at night just as a precaution.
- Use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Stay with the group.
- We are in contact with our friends in Kenya. Should there be any political unrest or any other signs of trouble, we will not hesitate to reschedule the mission trip.